You live by your daily routine and it helps you get things done. Be extra careful, though, if you have to change any part of that routine. This is more likely to happen when you, your spouse/partner, or caregiver who helps with your children, forgets that a child is in the back seat.
At other times, you are on your way home and realize you need to stop in at the store and pick up one or two things for dinner. So, you leave your child unattended, thinking, “I’ll just run into the store for a minute,” which is illegal in many States. Even cool temperatures in the 60s can cause the temperature to rise well above 110° Fahrenheit inside your car. The inside temperature can rise nearly 20 degrees within the first 10 minutes.
► Never leave a child unattended in a vehicle.
► Do not let your kids play in an unattended vehicle. Teach them that a automobile is not a play area.
► Never leave infants or kids in a parked vehicle, even if the windows are partially open.
► Keep a massive teddy bear or other stuffed animal in the automobile seat when it’s empty. Move the teddy bear to the front seat when you place the child in the seat as a visual reminder.
► Make a habit of looking in the automobile – front and back – before locking the door and walking away.
► If you are dropping your child off at childcare, and normally it’s your spouse or partner who drops them off, have your spouse or partner call you to make sure the drop went according to plan.
NHTSA is providing a comprehensive set of downloadable materials and assets for parents, caregivers, safety advocates and all those who want to help in preventing future tragedies.
Check out our Get Involved page so we can all work together to tackle this important safety issue.
- Fish, But Not Fish Oil Supplements, May Shield Against Stroke
- Antidepressants and Stroke
- Cognitive basis proposed for fatigue after stroke
- Stroke patients on a downhill memory slope
- Yoga May Help Stroke Survivors Improve Balance
- Heart Attack, Stroke More Common in Shift Workers
- Hospital performance at mercy of stroke severity
- Echo Clarifies Long-Term Risk After Stroke (CME/CE)
- Stroke Treatment Using Stem Cells Shows Early Promise In Controversial Trial
- Saving Lives By Averting Stroke Probably With Safe, Simple Eye Test
Submited at Sunday, August 19th, 2012 at 4:15 pm on Uncategorized by jessica
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback